The department came into existence with the establishment of the college in 1957 with one year Pre-University Course which was later replaced by a two-year Pre-Degree scheme. Degree course with Physics as the subsidiary subject was offered in 1962 for the BSc Geology course. Later Physics as the subsidiary subject has opted for the BSc courses in Mathematics, Chemistry and Computer Science. Degree course with Physics as the main subject was introduced in the year 1965.
The Department of Physics is one of the leading parts of the college with many of its alumni reaching good career positions in India and abroad. Many of our alumni work in academic, R&D, and other luminous careers in society. The department showcased a very good result in the 2006-‘07 Kannur University examinations with a hundred percent pass result with one student bagging the second Rank in the University for BSc Physics.
1. Higher education in Physics, Applied Sciences, Humanities, Social Sciences and Languages.
2. Higher education in Professional Programmes such as management, law, accounting, etc.
3. Public Sector Jobs
4. Specialised Jobs for Physicists such as in Armed Forces, Forensic Sciences, Air Traffic Control, etc.
5. Data Science and IT Services
MSc Physics with Computational and Nano Sciences
1. Research and Development in Nano Sciences.
2. Computational Physics jobs in the industry, Data Analysis.
3. Academic Jobs in India and Abroad after PhD
4. Research Assistants in General Physics and those related to computational and nanosciences.
5. Specialised Jobs for Physicists such as in Armed Forces, Forensic Sciences, Air Traffic Control, etc.